Thursday, January 7, 2010

like father, like son... yearning for mercy

     There are moments in a man's life where you realize you are more like your dad than you care to admit.  I had mine the other day.  Except it wasn't funny or ironic it was scary.  Don't get me wrong, I love my dad.  He is a great guy who loves Jesus and loves people.  We may not (and in some cases "may never") see life and faith the same way; but the fact is if I follow Jesus with half as much reckless abandon as my dad has the Lord will be pleased.
     But the fact is my dad is older and not the man he once was.  He was diagnosed a little while ago with early onset Alzheimer's.  It really hasn't slowed him down too much, but lately things have been changing.  He's more absent minded. He takes longer to accomplish tasks that were once so natural for him.  There are times when you can see him visibly saddened by not being able to do the things he once did.
     Seeing him go through this has brought me to the point of re-evaluating my life, health, and future.  At 32-years-old I am sad to say that I am more absent minded and it takes me longer to accomplish tasks that once were so easy for me.  Yes, I am in the midst of season where I have been sleep deprived because of having 2 kids under the age of 3, a wife who works nights, and having to get up at 5:30 am to get to my job on time.  Yet, if this is me at 32 what will I be like in 10 years.  I know it's selfish to think of me and not my dad in this reality.  But this is where I am right now.
     So I pray simply... 
     Lord of heaven and my life, show mercy.  Grant me the grace needed for my next moment.  Grant me the strength needed to love You and my fellow man as You have called.  Protect my mind that I might help spur on my wife to experience You more intimately daily.  Protect my mind that I might help shepherd my daughter to love You above all other suitors.  Protect my mind that I might help shepherd my son to seek You as the ONLY Wellspring of Life!  
     Lord of heaven and my father's life,  show mercy to him as he seeks Your touch in the momentary fog.  Be gracious and kind; allow him, your servant, to forget not Your benefits.  Be merciful to us, be merciful for the sake of Your glory in our lives, in Jesus name, amen.

No comments: