Monday, February 1, 2010

A Prostitute's Pad: God's Perfect Provision (CJ2)

     The title of this entry probably allows too much room for speculation and even some juvenille humor.  No matter how fitting that might be that is not where I am going today.  Actually, since I reflected a bit on Rahab already in a previous blog, I have been captured by another thought about Joshua 2.
     Just take a second and look at verse 1. Then Joshua son of Nun secretly sent two spies from Shittim. "Go, look over the land," he said, "especially Jericho."  So they went and entered the house of a prostitue named Rahab and stayed there.  When I read this last week I couldn't help but laugh. For this time in my life I noticed a reality that escaped me before.  So, I don't want to talk about Rahab, or even Joshua.  I want to talk about those two cats that Joshua sent to spy out the land.  
     What the sin were they thinking!?!?!?! (If you are wondering, yes, I said "What the sin?" If you are wondering why, I ask.. why not?) I mean, for real?  The first place you go is the local bordello? I guess I missed that opening day lesson in Counter-Intelligence 101.  At least I know the screenwriters of most any Bond movie seem to have read at least one part of the Bible.
     Seriously, in all the times I have read this story I have never noticed that the way the writer of Joshua notes that these spies went to the house of a prostitute and then stayed there.  They didn't go anywhere else. They did not pass go, and they did not collect $200. I am not here to speculate about outlying issues that this may cause to come up in a person's mind.  That is a waste of the little time we have. But through this little nuance of this story, I have come to realize a truth that gets lost in the church's black and white world.
     The Lord is willing to use the least likely of settings to steal back the glory that is rightfully His ALONE!
     You see, God thought it best to redeem what was a traditional bastion and stronghold of the enemy.  In that moment two spies were led to find safe haven in the home of a woman who financially benefitted from adultery.  The Holy One of Israel thought it best to team His covenant children with a prostitute who lived in enemy territory.
     I do not purport to know why God chose this means, but it does cause me to pause and wonder if we as the church haven't discounted His work in someone's life who may not be His "usual" vessel of grace.  If that doesn't make sense, let me put flesh to the statement with some examples.  
     An openly gay man says that He wants to start giving financially to the work of God. Do we allow him or do we say "get right everywhere else first"?  A known adulterer begs a wife for a second chance because he says he has encountered Jesus. Does she take a chance or does she close him out?  A bar owner says that he's willing to let a church plant use his facility on Sunday mornings since he's not.  Does that plant accept the offer?
     I am not sure that God wasn't speaking indirectly to these types of moments when this account in Joshua 2 was penned.
     In verses 8-13 Rahab speaks of how she knew that the Lord was moving on Israel's behalf.  She spoke this way because of what she heard. And an honest and appropriate fear of the Lord left her yearning for mercy. Who are we to say that God isn't doing the same in  the life of those that may be a little rough around the edges.  We the church, His covenant people, have too often relegated His work so that it can only be done in a sanitized manner.  We like our sanitary standards so much that we forget the goal is sanctification.  Do we heap to many things on a person's first move in response to the God who is calling them to Himself?
     I guess all I am saying is that God led His kids to find shelter in the residence of a woman who many would call an unfit ally.  Yet, when I see the story as a whole, His heart to redeem her shone through as He was leading His people forward.  So, I am left simply saying that a prostitute's pad was God's perfect provision in that moment for those followers; maybe, we shouldn't overlook any and all vessels of His grace in our life of following.
     

1 comment:

Carlos Antonio Brito said...

J.Paul... I ponder on using a bar as a church during Sunday mornings... Good Visual... I agree we often like to open up the gift wrapped box while forgetting that the box was made with recycled paper... thank God for being the great recycler...

Los