Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Consecrate... (CJ3)

     Honestly, Joshua 3 has left me a bit annoyed.  I have been trying for a while to verbalize the thoughts running through my head; but my words falter and my finger tips fail to move. There are so many things that should be worthwhile to ruminate over in this passage. For goodness sake, the waters of the Jordan just piled up so that Israel can pass through on dry land. Yet with all this fodder for dialogue I can't move past verse 5.
        5Joshua told the people, "Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do amazing things among you." 
     I feel as though my life of faith gets exposed so easily in the simplicity of this verse. The expectancy Joshua instills in the people drives his call for them consecrate themselves.  He doesn't want any of the people of God to miss out on the move of God. And so he implores them to set themselves apart to the service of and for the knowledge of God.  I am humbled. So, I can do nothing other than whisper the prayer my heart groans.
     "Lord, I am sorry.  I have not asked you to transform me with the expectation that you would do the amazing among this life of mine.  I have been asking you to grow and change me to be more like you, but I have not come asking in a way that is befitting of who you are.  Remind me that you are the lavish Father who wants do good by His kids.  Remind me that you have never given me anything begrudgingly; but that you give out of the overflow of Your nature which is merciful, loving, and extravagant.  Remind me of how you bent over broken through the gift of Jesus on the cross so that I might have a means to expect that You will do the unimaginable in my midst.  Tutor my heart to expect You to show up as I pray with honesty... Lord consecrate me, in Jesus name, amen."

No comments: